The painting resumed last night. I picked up some Mr Color wine red and another red from the local hobby store on my way home. The red parts were repainted. The first picture below is a comparison between the wine red and russet that I use the previous night. The wine red is a much darker red and will work to help create shading effects. Next I used Finisher’s bright red and painted the parts using a preshading technique that bases off the darker red base color.
I use gaia note’s star bright silver as the metallic to see how it stands up against Alclad’s finish. I’m not convinced that this is a better product. I can see a little graininess from the paint’s metallic particles. Maybe my thinning ratio was off, I don’t know. I’ll try them on another project. Once the metallic were painted, I sprayed on a mixture of clear yellow and clear blue to get a clear green. Apparently, I ran out of clear green. The yellow pieces were painted in the same manner using clear yellow. I like the metallic yellow finish.
After the painting sessions were done, it was back to work on the parts that still need surface prep attention. Tamiya light curing putty is employed. I have a bunch of lights that I use to help aide the curing process. And once cured, I did some rough sanding of the areas. I hope to finish up sanding the parts tonight.
Finally, since I have the neck piece painted, I can join the two main pieces of the chest and glue them into place to get rid of the seam. Bandai’s 90s era engineering and quality control is clear here, as one piece is smaller than the other piece in terms of alignment. A good deal of shape sanding will be employed to make the part look correct.