Thanksgiving day update. I did a decent amount of work last night, and today. I had the family over for Thanksgiving, made dinner and entertained, and was still able to get a good amount of work on the kit done. I’m getting much closer to finishing. Below are the finished foot, spear piece, and shoulder with the metallic green kandy finish.
Some sanding errors needed attention, and I finished sanding away the seam in the chest. A correction using tamiya light curing putty was employed to fix surface issues.
With the surface defects fixed, I sprayed on Mr Color intermediate blue on the main armor pieces. This is my base coat that I will be preshading the kit. There seems to be a bluish tint in the white from the boxart so I’m trying to replicate that using this preshading technique. The other metallic areas were masked and painted with the standard gloss black and then alclad polished aluminum.
Masking the shoulder mounted weapon system saw a different masking technique I haven’t used. Using a template, I cut out negative circle masks and then masked the part using the cut outs. It worked out quite well. The key is to have a very sharp hobby knife for which to cut the masking tape. After masking these parts, the pieces were ready for paint.
Gloss black was sprayed, followed by alclad polished aluminum. And finally a gloss clear green to finish the piece off.
Even after spraying the base color for the main armor, I managed to miss a small surface defect. The part was sanded and then repainted.
Not too shabby for the first day of a four day weekend. But who knows, I may develop a strong case of laziness and procrastination…. hopefully not.