This is the 1/100 OO Riser that a few members of the model build gathering an I are challenging ourselves to build and see how fast we can clip, sand, seam, paint (shading), decal, and wash the sucker. So far we’ve gotten about three hours of work in for the past two nights.
Day one started Tuesday evening, June 23, 2009. We started at about 8:30 after a quick dinner. With the exception of the chest piece that Angel started working with earlier that day, the rest of the kit was on runners. We spent the next three hours clipping, sanding, and seaming the necessary parts. Angel, Terry, Jay, and I got about 98% of the kit sanded and ready for paint.
Day two, Wednesday evening, June 24, 2009; we got to painting. Four paint stations were set up, two in the dining room, and two in the workshop room. Terry and I got started on the internals. First painting the gloss black, then finishing with alclad II steel. Angel and Jay were painting the base colors for the white and blue parts respectively. Angel was using a violet gray and Jay used a wolf blue.
Finishing the internals freed up clips for use on other parts. So the finished internals were thrown into a box lined with a paper towel.
Angel and Jay continued to work on their parts. Terry finished painting two other internal parts that Angel conveniently forgot to tell us about. I got to work on painting the base color for the red parts. Terry was originally supposed to paint the red, but I over thinned it so I took over on the red. After the two internal pieces were done, Terry went and base coated the yellow pieces with desert sand yellow. I got started on shading the red pieces with a custom salmon color I used for the Char’s Zaku II. Once that was done, I shaded the yellow. Things were winding down, Angel had to leave, so Terry finished up base coating the white pieces. I started and finished shading the blue parts with a lightened cobalt blue. The compressor was switched off and everyone was gone by 11:30. We had started at about the same time as the previous night, 8:30. So it was another good three hours of work.
Next up, the white needs to be painted, yellow parts masked off and painted, and some of the seamed parts need attention as well as paint. Clear coats will go up tomorrow, which will allow for decals and other finishing touches the following days.