Aug 252008
 

Weekend update. This weekend saw a good amount of work done on Kanu. Friday was spent sanding, Saturday I re-primed the sanded pieces, then Sunday saw some actual paint work. The red parts got the base coat of Finisher’s Silk Red. The upper piece of the dress still had a good amount of surface defects that I filled using light curing putty on Friday. The part was primed on Saturday, and the base coat was sprayed on Sunday.

kanu1_6_prog 095_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 099_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 121_jpg.jpg

More attention was spent on the hair once again, as it is a fairly detailed piece. I found a hole in the hair that was more a result of thin resin between detail areas than an actual hole. This was filled with light curing putty as well. The middle section of where the two main hair pieces come together was again sanded, puttied, sanded and primed. I think I’m finally done with the surface preparation on this piece.

kanu1_6_prog 105_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 110_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 098_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 102_jpg.jpg

With every ready for paint, I start with spraying white base to the skin areas. This is the first time I’m spraying the white over the gray primer prior to the skin tones. in previous kits, I’ve just sprayed the skin tone over the gray. Hopefully the white base will give the skin color a better tone. I did a quick wet sand session for the parts before spraying on the white. Now some of the more detailed areas such as the cleavage, shoulder indention and the area under her chin, I didn’t get to wet sand very well. And as a result, the white base picked up the dusty rough surface and built upon that leaving me with a very rough looking finish. These areas need to be sanded down smooth with a greater level of attention.

kanu1_6_prog 113_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 114_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 129_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 130_jpg.jpg

With the fine tune sanding, I ended up breaking off the standard Ikkitousen earring that all the characters from the series have. This is about the 20th time this piece has broken off, and I just refused to glue it back. I didn’t want to deal with the glue, filling, sanding, priming, etc, for such a delicate piece that would probably break again in the fixing process. So I just rebuilt the lower ear with light curing putty. Once that was done and sanded, I just re-sprayed the white base and the dust level is at a minimum. I will need to lightly wet sand the parts, but then I’ll get to spraying the skin tone very soon.

kanu1_6_prog 131_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 132_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 133_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 134_jpg.jpg

And to end on a high note, here is the main skirt piece painted with the base layer of Finisher’s Silk Red.

kanu1_6_prog 117_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 118_jpg.jpg

More progress pictures can be found on the progress page here.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: