With the paint cured for a couple of days, I went in with an enamel wash to panel line the guy and do the final assembly. I took a quick video of the panel line process which can be seen after the jump.
Thanksgiving was fairly mellow since there weren’t many family friends visiting and it was just a nice and relaxed quiet gathering. Some of the uncooked steaks from Thursday were cut up and thrown into a marinade. We picked up some Kobe Beef, fish cake, tofu, napa cabbage, shrimp, clams, etc etc. A small gathering of friends showed up on Friday for this mix of Shabu Shabu and Korean style hibachi. The dining room was fairly full and we ended up playing musical chairs when people wanted to move from the shabu shabu side to the korean bbq side, and then back again. Beers flowed, an amazing amount of food was consumed, and then it was on to rockband. I hit the LA Auto Show on Saturday, and today was taken to recover from the weekend as well as finish up painting the Tekkaman Blade kit.
Thanksgiving day update. I did a decent amount of work last night, and today. I had the family over for Thanksgiving, made dinner and entertained, and was still able to get a good amount of work on the kit done. I’m getting much closer to finishing. Below are the finished foot, spear piece, and shoulder with the metallic green kandy finish.
The painting resumed last night. I picked up some Mr Color wine red and another red from the local hobby store on my way home. The red parts were repainted. The first picture below is a comparison between the wine red and russet that I use the previous night. The wine red is a much darker red and will work to help create shading effects. Next I used Finisher’s bright red and painted the parts using a preshading technique that bases off the darker red base color.
I started working on the kit a few weeks ago. Parts were glued and sanded. I skipped taking pictures of the test fit phase and a few other steps, I just didn’t have time. This is also the reason for this late of an update from when I first started working on the kit. This is the second kit of the series I’ve been commissioned to build. I’ve learned a good deal from the Evil kit and that should translate to a much higher quality build for this kit.
Busy weekend. Friday night, I assembled the sub parts for the Tekkaman Evil commission kit and took pictures of the completed kit. I experimented with my photography, using a diffuser for my flash; so some of the pictures may look a little different form my past photos. Before the build gathering, I went down to my local AutoZone where I had ordered a K&N Cold Air/Short Ram intake kit, and then installed it to my tC. Folks started showing up to the build gathering as I finished up the install. The build gathering was fairly successful, we ended up going out to El Farolito for dinner. We had about 16 people at the gathering. My free time during the gathering went to working on the Kanu kit and with the masking work completed, I should be able to finish the kit this week. Sean F brought a couple of cds with pictures from OrangeCon 2008, and I have those pictures uploaded to the website. Here are a few sample pictures from the weekend, more pictures and details about the weekend after the jump.