This is an experiment that didn’t go too badly. I learned a great deal from this experience, granted the end result isn’t all that great, it’s not that bad. It is however, a 1 lb resin paper weight now. The next time I try something similar, it will definitely be in a much smaller size and the planning should be vastly improved. But I do like the final result. This is something I’ve not see too much, so I wanted to try it. I had finished this right before Orangecon 2014 and like everything else, just haven’t had the time to snap some final pictures.

Full gallery after the jump.

This Post Has 5 Comments

  1. eL

    I may be missing someone obvious but what were you trying to do with this project?

  2. GameraBaenre

    Hmm, does every project you build have a purpose other than wanting to build it? Try something new? Experiment? But if you really want to know, I was trying to create a 10 lb paper weight with some 1/144 kits :) I think I succeeded.

  3. Veggie

    Looks like a multi-layer epoxy resin trial? I see what you mean by – ‘not great’ – bummer about all the bubbles in the 3rd layer, unless thats what you were going for…

    That being said – im a big fan of clear casting resin. You can do some wicked cool stuff when you couple it with some glow powder and some UV LEDs. Something that came to mind when looking at your project – how cool would it be to embed some UV LED’s in the base and while the first layer was still semi-viscous, inject a different mix with glow pigment from a syringe from the downed GM up through the clear resin so it looks like a reactor leak. That would be a wicked cool paper weight… Well, off to the garage to experiment…

  4. GameraBaenre

    HAHA.. awesome! It’s all about the experimentations. Granted, there is a percentage of failure, but I learn so much from it.

  5. Ricardo

    As MythBusters always say ” Failure is always an option”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.