Dec 082008
 

I started clipping, sanding, and snapping the sucker a few weeks ago while I waited for paint to dry on the Tekkaman kit. I finished up the clipping, snapping and sanding this past weekend. Holy hell the thing is partsy. The last MG I built was the Zaku 2.0 and I thought that was partsy too. I feel I’m starting to get spoiled by HGUC 1/144 scale kits and resin kits as they’re not as parts intensive. Angel has been building his ∞ Justice in tandem, and finished before I did, but allowed me to snap some pictures with his kit.

ij_comm 003_jpg.jpg ij_comm 005_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Nov 282008
 

Thanksgiving day update. I did a decent amount of work last night, and today. I had the family over for Thanksgiving, made dinner and entertained, and was still able to get a good amount of work on the kit done. I’m getting much closer to finishing. Below are the finished foot, spear piece, and shoulder with the metallic green kandy finish.

tekkaman_blade_com 058_jpg.jpg tekkaman_blade_com 059_jpg.jpg tekkaman_blade_com 063_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Nov 262008
 

The painting resumed last night. I picked up some Mr Color wine red and another red from the local hobby store on my way home. The red parts were repainted. The first picture below is a comparison between the wine red and russet that I use the previous night. The wine red is a much darker red and will work to help create shading effects. Next I used Finisher’s bright red and painted the parts using a preshading technique that bases off the darker red base color.

tekkaman_blade_com 018_jpg.jpg tekkaman_blade_com 019_jpg.jpg tekkaman_blade_com 020_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Nov 252008
 

I started working on the kit a few weeks ago. Parts were glued and sanded. I skipped taking pictures of the test fit phase and a few other steps, I just didn’t have time. This is also the reason for this late of an update from when I first started working on the kit. This is the second kit of the series I’ve been commissioned to build. I’ve learned a good deal from the Evil kit and that should translate to a much higher quality build for this kit.

mgb18 029_jpg.jpg mgb18 030_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Nov 032008
 

Since Kanu is now done, I’m still on a figure kick so I figured the Asagi kit would be a quick and dirty build. I got through the initial sanding session, initial primer coat, fine tune sanding and surface fixes, then final primer. Below is a picture taken after the first coat of primer was sprayed.

asagi_prog 044_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Aug 252008
 

Weekend update. This weekend saw a good amount of work done on Kanu. Friday was spent sanding, Saturday I re-primed the sanded pieces, then Sunday saw some actual paint work. The red parts got the base coat of Finisher’s Silk Red. The upper piece of the dress still had a good amount of surface defects that I filled using light curing putty on Friday. The part was primed on Saturday, and the base coat was sprayed on Sunday.

kanu1_6_prog 095_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 099_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 121_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Aug 192008
 

Putty, sand, prime, repeat. This is tedious because sanding as a process is tedious. Add in the need to fill seams, fill gaps, fill surface imperfections, sanding on top of that, then primer to check if the fixed areas are truly fixed, the process can repeat itself. And depending on how anal retentive you are, one can spend weeks on the process. Below is a comparison between the initially primed hair and the same part after work was done to clean it up, fix the seam between one of the small hair pieces that came separate; and filling some of the holes caused by the pinning session. There is a small amount of clean up, but the part in the second picture is a leap ahead of the first in terms of surface prep and readiness for paint.

kanu1_6_prog 049_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 087_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »