Apr 112015
 
grim_collage

This past week, I got the final bits of painting done. Gloss clear coated it to prepare the surface for decals. Applied some decals from various decal sheets such as the 1/144 Londo Bell set (warning labels), the 1/72 Ivanov from Macross Zero, and some random grim reaper decal from Samuel Decals – sticking with the whole “Grim” theme. Once the decals were set, another clear coat was sprayed over the decals to protect them, and a black enamel paint wash was applied. The gun saw a silver enamel paint wash; the first time I tried using a metallic/lighter color to panel line a dark painted mecha kit part. It looks ok I guess. But overall, I’m pretty happy with the kit. It would have been done sooner, but other project got in the way and I lost interest here and there.

Below is a picture of the stock Grim and my Grim in the middle of being modded.

20150221_183655_jpg

The list of mods:

  • Added white LED inside the head
  • Removed backpack antenna and added head antenna
  • Added underside detail to the side skirts
  • Modded side skirts to add weapon sheath for throwing knives
  • 3D printed throwing knives
  • Added fuel tanks to the backpack
  • Added a backpack mounted rocket launcher
  • Added backpack mounted gatling gun scratch built with styrene and bashed with the Gundam OYW core fighter, also added grenade launcher element
  • Added details to the backpack main thrusters
  • Added spikes to the forearms
  • Added a sheath for the Grim’s knife to the left forearm
  • Added epoxy putty to create an organic upper sleeve
  • Added epoxy putty to right shoulder to bulk up the shoulder
  • Added thruster verniers through out the kit, upper shoulder, codpiece, and lower legs
  • Cut out belly and replaced with underside mine piece from the MG Kampfer kit
  • Modified the rifle to add barrel and silencer as well as bulked up the magazine with styrene cylinders and more kampfer mine parts
  • Upper thigh areas were extended with styrene plastic by about 4 mm to give the kit a more balanced look since I felt it looked a little squat
  • Recasted the clear pink lens piece to create a clear piece that I tinted with alclad candy electric blue enamel

The purple parts were base coated with left over paint from the Z’Gok build, white was used as a shading tone, then alclad hot metal violet was sprayed to give the purple tone. The right shoulder used clear yellow instead of the hot metal violet.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Click here for the full gallery of completed pictures

Feb 032014
 

Time for another Ver Ka Sazabi update. Today’s update will cover the process of making LED embedded resin thruster parts. The why of it all, well, we’ll get into that later. Going back to when the kit was sanded and dismantled; the thruster pieces were singled out and I started to plan out the process for adding some lighting mods. I had lit the HGUC Sazabi, so I figured this much larger scale shouldn’t be much of an issue. My experience from working with lighting the 1/144 scaled Sazabi helped make my decision on the direction.

Seven thruster parts are identified. Granted, I’m ignoring the square thruster pieces all over the body, as well as the round one at the back skirt – there’s something to be said about going overboard with lights. And these seven, effectively 14 thruster pieces should be enough for the effect.

With these seven thruster parts picked out, the LED count for just the bells is 32. Lets do this!

Continue reading »

Mar 232012
 
dreissen_mods

Last week was March’s build gathering, and since it was a week away from Kenken and Latte’s birthdays (March 24th), we also invited their breeder’s sister who owns Crumpet, Kenken and Latte’s sister. Oddly enough, she’s also a model builder that has been to AX and does some excellent work with resin kits. Crumpet is a bit antisocial so we were hoping that the large gathering of strangers and 5 other corgis will help break her out of her shell and shyness. She was fairly timid at first and rather unfriendly, but I think she started to get used to the dogs and started to play. And by the time they left, she was definitely more comfortable, so hopefully she’ll continue to visit during the build gatherings.

In other news, I’ve been doing a great deal of modifications to the HGUC Dreissen, which will be most of this post.

Continue reading »