Dec 032011
 

Yesterday, I woke up and just felt horrible. I’ve had a slight cough over the past few weeks and overnight, it just got bad. So I went to the doctor and got some nice meds. Then headed off to work to pick up my work computer so that I could finish my projects that had deadlines. I took some of the meds and started in on my office work and finished around 2:30pm or so. I was planning on just crashing after getting my work done, because while working, that’s all I could think of, crashing out. But after work was done, I took some cough medicine, a small amount so that I don’t get completely destroyed mentally. Went out and picked up some ingredients for porridge. The pizza I ate for lunch caused me to pee out of my butt, not the greatest feeling in the world, so I needed to get something less greasy. The porridge was cooking and wouldn’t be done for another 4 hours or so.

Some semblance of energy returned and while looking at my unfinished base, I decided that there were only a few more steps and I’d be done. So the last part of my sick day was spent working on gunpla. Guess that drive to finally finish the project I technically started back in January of last year kicked into gear. Below is the start of the base and the completed base.

Continue reading »

May 182011
 

After weeks of no progress, I had been waffling between making an elaborate base for the kit or just displaying it simply, I finally resulted in doing a simple base. The plans I had would have hidden the kit or taken away too much attention from all the work that I had put into the sucker. I still had issues with the decals. I have no idea what it is, but something is reacting with the decal/decal setting solution/alclad. The difference from other kits is that I’m using the alclad hot metal red, and I believe that the paint is a bit on the delicate side. Regardless, I had spent enough time redoing parts and running through too many sets of decals. So screw it, time to focus on other projects without having this stupid thing loom over my head.

At the end of the day, the sucker has 28 LEDs wired throughout the kit with the power supply and switch assembly inside the crotch area. The chest was reshaped. The shoulders expanded and some interior details were added. The fuel tanks were extended and some detail was added over the tanks. The arm thrusters were cast with LED to create the small light up thrusters. The waist cables was completely replaced with an internal structure wire, wrapped magnet wire spring, and metal collars that fit over everything. The mono eye was modified added a small metal collar as the eye and inserting a small green LED to light the mono eye. The bottom of the feet were drilled out to add in some thruster details as well as an LED. The leg thrusters and waist thrusters were modified to add in LEDs. The backpack thruster pack was modified to add in three LEDs.

I thoroughly enjoyed the build, but not so much the labor and amount of rework required for ultra glossy finishes.

Continue reading »

Mar 092011
 

Interim because I still have decals to deal with that are on order as well as finishing the base. This is a stopping point as ValleyCon is coming up and I want to enter this kit. And these are just a few quick shots I snapped tonight.

At the request of a few people, here are some pictures in low lighting

Mar 072011
 

This past weekend was the March Model Build Gathering held at Dan’s (Funaka) house. I brought my Saz over only to discover that the paint under the decals on the skirts I’ve been working on is again being eaten away. I’ve still yet to pinpoint the issue, but I spent my time at the gathering working on wiring up the Saz and trying out a few attempts at fixing the skirts.

Continue reading »

Feb 022011
 

First and foremost, Happy Lunar New Year‘s Eve for everyone on this side of the international date line. For the rest, Happy New Years! This past Sunday, we had a family dinner at one of the local Hong Kong style seafood restaurants. Randomly hearing the managers exclaim “Pig Parade” in Cantonese, and noticing all the staff rush to the kitchen; a slight hush came over the fully packed restaurant. The staff all come out of the kitchen with roasted pigs on huge metal prongs and proceeded to parade it around the restaurant. That the restaurant was packed and there was a line waiting to eat on a Sunday night was the very first clue that Chinese New Years was right around the corner.

I’ve also got some Saz updates as well as a potential canine addition to the household.

Continue reading »

Jan 302011
 

Time for another Saz update; and it has been a while. But first off, I re-themed the site’s front end. The wordpress end. The old style is a bit dated, and I’ve been meaning to do an update for a while. I did a little too many modifications on the last theme and that was a little too time consuming, so I grabbed a nice little theme that was very flexible with personalization and used my old theme’s main colors to retain some of my personal flavor. I think the site is a little more streamlined. I’ll be tweaking things here and there over the next week or so. I’m always open for comments, or if you want to be added to my rss feeds and what not, let me know. Hopefully the site is a little faster as well. And about the ads, well, I kinda buried them before, hopefully they’re not too distracting from the content.

Ok, enough about the site, on to the Saz, for which I have been continually working on; but progress at this point was kinda slow, I was waiting for some lights and stuff to show up… So last I left, I had just gotten the first layer of primer on the little bastard. Well I had to go through several cycles of sand/putty/sand/prime/ repeat until I got the primer just right on the shoulders and chest. With that done, these past few days, I’ve been getting paint on the little bastard. Started off with the gloss black base.

Continue reading »