Aug 012016
 

I’m revisiting this project as I plan on taking this sucker to Otakon. When I was working on the project, I haphazardly added some tiny little thrusters to the end of the hammer. Even at the time, it didn’t quite look right to me, but it didn’t really hit me until I was working on the Hi Nu project. Below are pictures I originally took of the Gusion with the hammer and tiny thrusters. You cannot even see them at certain angles.

This was sort of bothering me when I finished the kit, but I didn’t quite know what was really bothering me. Not until I was working on the Hi Nu project did it come slamming into my brain. There was just too much negative space at the back of the hammer with the little thrusters and they just look completely out of place. I had just replaced some crappy resin thrusters that had come with the kit with some updated resin thrusters that I had casted from molds of new aluminum thrusters I picked up specifically for the Hi Nu project. So the idea was to place bigger thrusters at the back of the hammer.

Since the aluminum thrusters had multiple parts, I just made casts of the separate pieces and used them to create different sized thrusters. I ripped up the original smaller thrusters and planned out a new layout with the new much larger thrusters. Once the plan looked good, I made more copies, cleaned them, primed them, then painted them. Then I glued them into place. Here’s a picture with the difference.

gusion_hammer_redux

I think this is a definite improvement over the wimpy little thrusters. They are beefier and there’s much less negative space at the back of the hammer. Here are some more pictures.

You can always go back to fix things. And no, I’m not fixing the bloody decals 🙂

Jun 272016
 

The last time I made an update to this blog about working on this kit was November 17, 2010. And I had just finished priming and was starting to spray the metallic colors for some of the frame pieces. I had originally started this project in March 2008 when the Bandai Hi Nu and Vicious Project conversion kit was around. Over the past 8 years, the kit has been unboxed, looked at, and possibly got some work; but it ALWAYS got boxed back up and thrown back onto the shelves. It’s gotten to a point of being a running gag on being in development hell. Motivation to finish a kit plays a huge part in actually finishing kits. It’s not that I didn’t have the time to finish it; I just was not motivated enough. I’m sure I had some more recently updated pictures on my computer, but all I could find is what I’ve already uploaded. And it is only a picture of the sand – prime – sand process. And that process alone is excuse enough to kill any project.

I even had a paint scheme planned out all those 8 years ago. That’s completely changed now since I started back up this past week. At this point, I just want to finish the sucker, so nothing too fancy with the paint scheme. I’ve had some Hi Nu decals sitting for longer than 8 years, so time to stick with the basic scheme; with just the smallest amount of personalization. The parts are strewn on my workbench and I’m quite surprised that I’m not missing anything. At least nothing vital so far.

Continue reading »

Apr 032008
 

Another size comparison picture, using an hguc RGM-79D cold climate GM, this really shows off the shear massiveness that is the Nu.

hguc_nu_prog%20016_jpg.jpg

Small little update to the hguc nus I’ve been working on. On one of the kits, I replaced the backpack thrusters with metal thrusters from Ako Hobby. I’m using the same thrusters for the legs as well. I start by cutting the thruster bell off the stock piece using a hasegawa tritool saw. These saws are very thin and the amount of material removed by the sawing process is minimal so they work great for such applications.

hguc_nu_prog%20017_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20018_jpg.jpg

After removing the thruster bell, the area is then sanded slightly with a low grit sanding stick. This helps level the surface and give added surface area for the glue. The metal thruster is then glued into place. I used an epoxy glue for added strength.

hguc_nu_prog%20019_jpg.jpg

Here are a few comparison shots, the first is the replaced leg thruster and the second is the backpack thrusters.

hguc_nu_prog%20020_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20025_jpg.jpg

I think the bigger and longer thruster give a more robust look to the kit.