Oct 282009
 

I rarely have time over the weekend to just sit down and build for a day, so work on any kit is usually nonexistent save for a few moments before I crash out. This past weekend was no exception. The updates so far start from last week, and the past few week nights of work. Since i want the kit finished as soon as possible, I skipped out on the purple power soak and opted for a paper towel and some Mr Color Thinner and wiped all the parts. I plan on doing some extensive masking so hopefully the thinner wipe is enough to degrease the parts.

On skewers and ready for primer, all the parts were primed, and left to cure for a day. Hopefully I won’t get any paint lifts when get into painting and masking. I’ll probably take some masking tape and do some cursory tests.

Continue reading »

Apr 032008
 

Another size comparison picture, using an hguc RGM-79D cold climate GM, this really shows off the shear massiveness that is the Nu.

hguc_nu_prog%20016_jpg.jpg

Small little update to the hguc nus I’ve been working on. On one of the kits, I replaced the backpack thrusters with metal thrusters from Ako Hobby. I’m using the same thrusters for the legs as well. I start by cutting the thruster bell off the stock piece using a hasegawa tritool saw. These saws are very thin and the amount of material removed by the sawing process is minimal so they work great for such applications.

hguc_nu_prog%20017_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20018_jpg.jpg

After removing the thruster bell, the area is then sanded slightly with a low grit sanding stick. This helps level the surface and give added surface area for the glue. The metal thruster is then glued into place. I used an epoxy glue for added strength.

hguc_nu_prog%20019_jpg.jpg

Here are a few comparison shots, the first is the replaced leg thruster and the second is the backpack thrusters.

hguc_nu_prog%20020_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20025_jpg.jpg

I think the bigger and longer thruster give a more robust look to the kit.