Apr 112015
 

This past week, I got the final bits of painting done. Gloss clear coated it to prepare the surface for decals. Applied some decals from various decal sheets such as the 1/144 Londo Bell set (warning labels), the 1/72 Ivanov from Macross Zero, and some random grim reaper decal from Samuel Decals – sticking with the whole “Grim” theme. Once the decals were set, another clear coat was sprayed over the decals to protect them, and a black enamel paint wash was applied. The gun saw a silver enamel paint wash; the first time I tried using a metallic/lighter color to panel line a dark painted mecha kit part. It looks ok I guess. But overall, I’m pretty happy with the kit. It would have been done sooner, but other project got in the way and I lost interest here and there.

Below is a picture of the stock Grim and my Grim in the middle of being modded.

20150221_183655_jpg

The list of mods:

  • Added white LED inside the head
  • Removed backpack antenna and added head antenna
  • Added underside detail to the side skirts
  • Modded side skirts to add weapon sheath for throwing knives
  • 3D printed throwing knives
  • Added fuel tanks to the backpack
  • Added a backpack mounted rocket launcher
  • Added backpack mounted gatling gun scratch built with styrene and bashed with the Gundam OYW core fighter, also added grenade launcher element
  • Added details to the backpack main thrusters
  • Added spikes to the forearms
  • Added a sheath for the Grim’s knife to the left forearm
  • Added epoxy putty to create an organic upper sleeve
  • Added epoxy putty to right shoulder to bulk up the shoulder
  • Added thruster verniers through out the kit, upper shoulder, codpiece, and lower legs
  • Cut out belly and replaced with underside mine piece from the MG Kampfer kit
  • Modified the rifle to add barrel and silencer as well as bulked up the magazine with styrene cylinders and more kampfer mine parts
  • Upper thigh areas were extended with styrene plastic by about 4 mm to give the kit a more balanced look since I felt it looked a little squat
  • Recasted the clear pink lens piece to create a clear piece that I tinted with alclad candy electric blue enamel

The purple parts were base coated with left over paint from the Z’Gok build, white was used as a shading tone, then alclad hot metal violet was sprayed to give the purple tone. The right shoulder used clear yellow instead of the hot metal violet.

Click here for the full gallery of completed pictures

Apr 052015
 

I got the parts cleaned up and washed. Then onto some skewers and the priming starts. Once the primer is dry, the parts are checked for mistakes and parts that need attention are sanded, puttied, resanded, then reprimed. Once everything looks good, the first layers of paint will go onto the parts.

Also in this post, because the Grim’s clear “eye” piece is done in a clear pink, that clashes with the color scheme I have planned, so I decided to make a silicone mold of the original part, and make a clear resin copy of the part that I can then tint with a clear paint that matches the overall color scheme.

Here’s a video of the entire process just briefly touched on by the above slide show.

More details on the paint progress after the jump

Continue reading »

Mar 272015
 

It has been a few months since I started up on this project and I’ve been getting a little work on it only at the monthly build gatherings. With Sena recently completed, I decided against starting up another figure project to focus on this one and just get the damn thing done. Prior to the Sena videos, I actually started using my cameras to capture the Grimoire build. I was still working out the set up that I think I’ve nailed down towards the end of the Sena series.

Here’s what the kit looks like currently.

Here’s the video for the head modifications as well as adding an LED to the head and wiring everything together.

More details about the current progression as well as the other video after the jump.

Continue reading »

Jan 192015
 

I first saw this kit at the December’s model build gathering, and my attempts to win it at our white elephant exchange failed miserably as it was stolen from my wanting hands. A few folks at the gathering had the kit and were building it as well which gave me the opportunity to look at the kit. Later that month, I dropped by a local shop and spent the $16 and grabbed the kit. A cool feature for the plastic is that it’s already molded in a matte finish. The texture of the plastic is different from the usual Bandai gunpla kits that I’ve worked on in the past. Granted this feature is completely wasted for my purposes; but it is a pretty cool feature.

The kit snapped together in roughly 20 minutes. Probably less. From watching friends build the thing, I had already formed some ideas on what I want to do to “personalize” it. I recorded some videos of the initial build progression, but haven’t found time to do the editing. Most of these pictures were taken after the mods were in place.

grimoire_mods2

grimoire_mods

Details on the mods after the jump!

Continue reading »