Aug 132010
 

As stated in the previous post; when it gets down to the final stretch of things, the build progress slows down to a snails pace. The reason for this is that each of the final steps, although very quick and not in the least bit labor intensive just takes time and patience. Visibly, the work isn’t significant as these are minor details added to the kit. The reason for the slowness for the drawn out process is due to the cure times for the clear coats applied between the final layers.

Continue reading »

Nov 062008
 

Last night saw very little paint work as I sprayed areola detail and the final flat clear coat over the main body’s skin areas to seal in the decal as well as flatten the skin tone to match that of the other skin parts. These parts will need a few days to cure before I move on towards masking and painting the rest of the kit. So tonight was the perfect night to do the nylon stockings…

asagi_prog 117_jpg.jpg asagi_prog 135_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Nov 052008
 

Last night’s work on Asagi consisted of the second layers of paint. The main body and skin pieces were treated to the lighter shade of skin tone. Coming from my mecha building techniques, I use a pre-shading method with a darker base color followed by a lighter color to create shading effects. In the below pictures, the first picture is shows the lighter skin tones on highlight areas. Once I have all the areas highlighted, I pull the airbrush back from the parts, raise the air pressure, and mist on the lighter color to blend everything and soften some of the more contrasting areas.

asagi_prog 080_jpg.jpg asagi_prog 083_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Aug 292008
 

With the clear gloss cured for a full day, I can now apply the decal. The first picture shows the planning stage. Once I have a good idea on where I want the tattoo (decal) placed, I can now dip the decal in some water for a few seconds then take the decal out of the water and let it sit on a napkin for a minute or so. This loosens up the decal from the paper backing and doesn’t completely dissolve the glue that’s on the decal film. When I went to slide the decal onto the skin, the decal fell apart, several decals fell apart… so I took my gloss clear and sprayed the decal sheet and let that set up for a couple of minutes. Once that completely dried, I tried the attempt again, and the clear gloss added some strength to the rather thin decal film. The bad part about this is that the clear gloss added a little thickness to the decal film.

kanu1_6_prog 180_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 186_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »