Nov 052008
 

Last night’s work on Asagi consisted of the second layers of paint. The main body and skin pieces were treated to the lighter shade of skin tone. Coming from my mecha building techniques, I use a pre-shading method with a darker base color followed by a lighter color to create shading effects. In the below pictures, the first picture is shows the lighter skin tones on highlight areas. Once I have all the areas highlighted, I pull the airbrush back from the parts, raise the air pressure, and mist on the lighter color to blend everything and soften some of the more contrasting areas.

asagi_prog 080_jpg.jpg asagi_prog 083_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Nov 042008
 

Asagi is progressing fairly smoothly. For the skin areas, Mr White base was sprayed, followed by the base skin tone. The eyes were masked off after the white base was sprayed. Progress is moving along nicely; and pending any snags, this kit should be completely relatively quickly.

asagi_prog 063_jpg.jpg asagi_prog 068_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Nov 032008
 

Since Kanu is now done, I’m still on a figure kick so I figured the Asagi kit would be a quick and dirty build. I got through the initial sanding session, initial primer coat, fine tune sanding and surface fixes, then final primer. Below is a picture taken after the first coat of primer was sprayed.

asagi_prog 044_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Oct 312008
 

HOORAY! I’m finally done with her! I went out and bought some new back backgrounds for the new photography style I’ve been using. Here are a few quick close up shots. More information and pictures after the jump.

kanu1_6 053_jpg.jpg kanu1_6 096_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Oct 302008
 

Lets try this again. I hit the gym, and late last night i got around to sanding the cursed part. The miliput actually worked out quite well and I didn’t have to do much sanding. I will have to remember to use the stuff on my next project since one of the two parts of the miliput has a nice layer of oxidation around it that needs to be cut away before mixing. When storing miliput, use some ziplog bags to reduce the oxidation and preserve the life of this rather expensive putty.

kanu1_6_prog 302_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 303_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Oct 292008
 

Last night, I put on the decals for Kanu’s robe. I use some Mr Mark softer to help melt the decal to conform to the curves of the robe and left it to sit over night. Tonight, I decided to take some final pictures of the completed robe. After which, I figured I could finally put the entire kit together and take some completion pictures. After several months of work, motivation loss, frustration working to get the robe just right and paint it…. I was finished…. or so I thought….

kanu1_6_prog 293_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 294_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 295_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 297_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Oct 262008
 

Busy weekend. Friday night, I assembled the sub parts for the Tekkaman Evil commission kit and took pictures of the completed kit. I experimented with my photography, using a diffuser for my flash; so some of the pictures may look a little different form my past photos. Before the build gathering, I went down to my local AutoZone where I had ordered a K&N Cold Air/Short Ram intake kit, and then installed it to my tC. Folks started showing up to the build gathering as I finished up the install. The build gathering was fairly successful, we ended up going out to El Farolito for dinner. We had about 16 people at the gathering. My free time during the gathering went to working on the Kanu kit and with the masking work completed, I should be able to finish the kit this week. Sean F brought a couple of cds with pictures from OrangeCon 2008, and I have those pictures uploaded to the website. Here are a few sample pictures from the weekend, more pictures and details about the weekend after the jump.

tekkaman_evil_com 071_jpg.jpg k_n_intake_install 003_jpg.jpg mgb17 067_jpg.jpg mgb17 071_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »