Jul 242020
 

She’s done!

Before we get to the full gallery, lets rewind from where I last left off. The pieces were glued to the base and ready for the clear resin. I used a very slow curing epoxy resin since the whole base is too big to fit into the pressure port. Also, a slow cure resin means lower curing temp. Fast curing resin will get pretty hot during the curing process and that would potentially melt things down. Since 99% of the kit is resin, this shouldn’t be too big a problem, but why take that risk. The resin I used works well with bandai plastic too. The resin was poured in three stages. To make sure I fill the area and to over flow it a little so I get an infinite top kind of look. I needed most of the resin to cure first before pouring additional layers. Once all the layers were poured and cured; the kit is removed from the dust free drying chamber I had and the excess resin can be cut and pulled away. This sort of ruins the sides of the base, but I’m not too concerned as this was expected.

An orbital sanded was used to quickly smooth out the sides and remove any excess resin. I started with an 80 grit, and moved up to a 180, then 220, and finally a polishing grit of 320.

Once smooth, the sides are wiped down with a damp cloth, dried, then painted on some black to finish the base.

The last bits were painting in the lips, finger tips and small little details such as the wires in between the cable tubes for her bikini strap. And she’s done. A fairly quick project completed in about a month’s time.

Here is a quick video showing her off

Here’s the still photo gallery:

Jun 302020
 

Weekly update time. Motivation for this project is still pretty damn high and I’m having a crap ton of fun working on this project. Years ago when this broke, I just didn’t feel like fixing it because it would have required a complete repaint for some of the parts with custom mixed paints I no longer had so getting the color match would have been impossible. Fast forward to last week, I finally started the repair process. Below are comparison pictures for the broken shoulder piece. The curved spike broke off the pauldron. The spike was glued back and epoxy putty is applied when I first started working on the project.

Once sanded down it starts to look close to the original. The spike insert area also had a little bit of a space, so that was scribed in with some BMC chisels. There are some detail bits that were lost on the break, so a small piece of styrene works to repaint that area. Not too difficult a fix, but a little labor intensive.

Tons of pictures and more progress details after the jump.

Continue reading »

Jun 222020
 

I love build gathering for the simple fact that a ton of my goofy ideas result from build interactions with my friends. I’ve been struggling to work on projects for the past two virtual build gatherings. The Ford Mustang GT4 stagnated from frustration. And then I started on an RG Sazabi that I have an idea for, but the motivation for that kit just wasn’t there. I’ve managed to snap the legs and part of the waist in May and started back on it to finish off the waist and upper torso this past build gathering before just boxing the damn thing up and moving on to a more interesting project.

There is a little history for this project. And I have been known to take previously finished projects and just rebuild them. The Neograde Gouf Custom conversion for the MG gouf 2.0 kit was finished almost 10 years ago: Neo Grade Gouf Custom Build. This one is a little different, it was displayed at a local hobby shop and was damaged from a customer handling it. (I have no idea why a hobby shop would allow a customer to handle kits in their display case). But it happened several years ago, almost 5 years ago: Broken Neograde Gouf Custom. And since then, it has sat in a box. Well, not really, it was taken out and used as a reference for the Gouf Custom Zaku Exceed Head conversion and Bust kit I made; that is still available for purchase here: Gouf Custom Zaku Exceed Conversion kit and bust for sale!. But back out of the box and this time, really ripped apart.

More details for this “new” project after the jump.

Continue reading »