Aug 132009
 

A good 80% of the work on any resin figure is spent fixing surface issues, sanding, washing, priming, resanding, repriming, etc. With that done, the fun part comes, painting. I enjoy the painting session the most as the kit starts to really come together at this stage. The repetitive motions of sanding, priming, sanding, repeat gets laborious with nothing but gray tones and the color of the putties. Most of the parts have second layers of color paint on them. The exception to this are the red parts which have been base coated with wine red.

Continue reading »

Aug 032009
 

This weekend, I relaxed with a bit of Scuba Diving. The first attempt was made on Friday afternoon, but upon reaching the beach and pulling out the gear to get ready, I realized that I had left a very important piece of equipment at home, my stupid mask. So no diving on Friday. I was successful Saturday morning, even got some very cool pictures. I snapped a picture of a Leopard Shark about 15-20 feet away. I got a little bit of work on Velvet over the weekend as well, mostly surface fixes. Sunday, I did an evening dive at Shaw’s Cove. And for good measure, a picture of Duke passed out on his back…

Continue reading »

Jul 292009
 

After the previous night’s cleaning session and skewering to prepare the kit for the initial priming session. Last night, I primed everything but the chain. Now, along with the initial sanding session, there is an initial priming session. This implies that there will be additional sanding and priming sessions. For this update, I will show you some of the parts that were fixed during the initial sanding and clean up sessions. The hat, shoulder, and skirt areas where I found pinholes, bubbles, and other surface irregularities were addressed and fixed. These were areas that I could clearly see in the untouched white resin. However, once primed, the true number of surface defects is seen.

Continue reading »

Jul 282009
 

At the last build gathering, I finally got some time to start working on this kit. I spent most of the time at the build gathering doing the initial sanding, clean up work, and minor repairs to surface issues that are visible. After the initial cleanup work, the parts are soaked in purple power over night, rinsed in water, run through the ultra sonic cleaner, dried, then skewered and ready for priming.

Continue reading »

May 212009
 

Velvet from Odin Sphere sculpted by Bubba arrived on Tuesday, but since I wasn’t home to sign for the kit, I was relegated to picking it up the following morning. The box for the kit was unusually large as you can see by the comparison picture with Mr G3 Gundam. However, as excited I was to go home and break open the box to get her at least pinned, something else caught my attention towards the end of my work day.

As usual, I was checking the local scuba conditions as I randomly do to see what conditions are like; and the reported waves were 0-1 ft, surge light, and visibility 20-25 ft. My last couple of dives have been with a visibility of 10-15 ft and 2-4 ft surge. I then went to check another surf site for the deep water wave action to see what the conditions may be come the weekend. The deep water waves are predicted to raise as the week progressed, so I figured I should take advantage of the current conditions and just do a nice evening dive.

Continue reading »