Jan 192015
 
grimoire_prog 039_JPG

I first saw this kit at the December’s model build gathering, and my attempts to win it at our white elephant exchange failed miserably as it was stolen from my wanting hands. A few folks at the gathering had the kit and were building it as well which gave me the opportunity to look at the kit. Later that month, I dropped by a local shop and spent the $16 and grabbed the kit. A cool feature for the plastic is that it’s already molded in a matte finish. The texture of the plastic is different from the usual Bandai gunpla kits that I’ve worked on in the past. Granted this feature is completely wasted for my purposes; but it is a pretty cool feature.

The kit snapped together in roughly 20 minutes. Probably less. From watching friends build the thing, I had already formed some ideas on what I want to do to “personalize” it. I recorded some videos of the initial build progression, but haven’t found time to do the editing. Most of these pictures were taken after the mods were in place.

grimoire_mods2

grimoire_mods

Details on the mods after the jump!

Continue reading »

Jan 132015
 
gm_swim_comp 029_JPG

This is an experiment that didn’t go too badly. I learned a great deal from this experience, granted the end result isn’t all that great, it’s not that bad. It is however, a 1 lb resin paper weight now. The next time I try something similar, it will definitely be in a much smaller size and the planning should be vastly improved. But I do like the final result. This is something I’ve not see too much, so I wanted to try it. I had finished this right before Orangecon 2014 and like everything else, just haven’t had the time to snap some final pictures.

Full gallery after the jump.

Continue reading »

Jan 122015
 
morrigan_comp 012_JPG

While updating my Completed Figures Page, I noticed that there was a missing figure, the Morrigan that I finished in 2012. I searched my site and didn’t find it and remembered that I had rushed to finish it for Orangecon in 2012 and was planning on taking completed pictures. We see how well that plan turned out. So since the photobooth is still set up from the Yukari shoot, I dusted off Morrigan and snapped a few quick pictures. Instead of bats, I used my personal logo, and it didn’t turn out as great as I was expecting. There is plenty of evidence of a rush job, but nothing I can do now – unless I strip it and start from scratch. It’s easier to move on to the next project.

Full gallery after the jump.

Continue reading »

Jan 122015
 
yukari_complete 010_JPG

I finished this kit late last month, but just hadn’t gotten around to taking pictures. I also picked up a new camera so this is the first subject to have completed pictures taken with the new camera, a Lumix GX7. It uses the same lenses as my old Olympus EP2. It is a nice upgrade from that camera, so I will have fun learning to use it.

The kit was fairly simple, I did have to do some modifications to the legs to make the white fishnet stocking addition easier to do. Other than this, there was the usual multi tiered masking involved. I hope to get more figures completed this year, so hopefully not a end of the year project like this one.

Full gallery after the jump.

Continue reading »

Jan 102015
 

Mark your calendars, and get your gunpla building into gear. We’ve got a new venue this year since we’ve actually outgrown our previous venue in 2013. We didn’t move to far, but we’ve got much better parking and a much larger space. We’re still planning things out but at the very least, we can start notifying everyone of when and where the 2015 SCGMC event is going to be held.

scgmc_2015

We will have more details as the date of the event draws closer.

Dec 222014
 
yukari_masking

Work continued on Yukari with a sewing machine.

Returning shorly to the previous post, the leg parts were cut to remove the shoes as well as the upper thigh. Instead of painting on the leggings, I decided to sew some nylon mesh material together and effectively have real stockings on the kit. The mesh materials is measured against the painted legs and cut into strips. The mesh is then held together by some pins and sewn together using an elastic stitch. The excess material next to the open end of the stitch is cut away. This end of the stitch needs to be hidden, so the mesh tube is flipped inside out so the excess is on the inside. Once flipped, the mesh tube is slipped over the legs. Cutting away the upper thigh and the shoes makes it easier to put the stockings together, since the upper and lower areas do not need to be carefully cut and glued.

yukari_feet_mod yukari_leggings

Once the legging are in place, the shoes and upper thigh pieces are glued together and the lower torso and legs are done.

Continue reading »

Dec 102014
 
yukari_primed

The year is almost over and I’ve yet to get one figure kit completed. So I rummaged through the collection of resin kits and found this partially pinned kit. The parts breakdown is pretty simple and should be a pretty quick build. So I started up the project a few weeks ago.

This is Yukari Yakumo from the doujin game Touhou Project. I have no idea what the game is about or who this character is, but a few years ago, the kit looked pretty good from one of the WF events in Japan and I picked this kit up off Y!J Auctions.

The first step is to finish pinning together the kit, so I can get a better idea on modifications areas, but for the most part, I am just building this out of the bag.

yukari_pin

Continue reading »