Apr 152008
 

Tax day update…. I actually couldn’t get as much done because I was spending some time working on my taxes…. at least Calif is going to pay me back for the interest free loan I gave them… *sigh* The federal side is a whole other story… but at least now, I know that I need to do at least a couple of commissions a year just as a bit of tax relief. 😀

Well, on the a bit of work…With these hguc kits, there are a good number of detail areas that should be masked off. In hindsight, I should have painted most of the detail areas as they were indented areas and masking over those areas is much easier to masking in the other direction….

hguc_nu_prog%20099_jpg.jpg

I’ve also been using Parafilm. The stuff is great for covering large areas, I end up saving on tape with a small amount of parafilm.

hguc_nu_prog%20100_jpg.jpg

And lucky for me, when I lifted the masking tape, the true test to surface prep is shown as the underlying paint didn’t lift. I also lifted the masking tape a couple of minutes after painting. I do this because the paint isn’t completely cured. I’ve had instances when lifting the masking tape, long after the paint has cured, left uneven edges as chipping and lifting occurs. This is easily fixed by scoring the paint along the edges of the masking tape, however, if scoring the edge can be avoided, it is best to do so.

hguc_nu_prog%20102_jpg.jpg

Some more detail work on some of the internals:

hguc_nu_prog%20103_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20104_jpg.jpg

Apr 032008
 

Another size comparison picture, using an hguc RGM-79D cold climate GM, this really shows off the shear massiveness that is the Nu.

hguc_nu_prog%20016_jpg.jpg

Small little update to the hguc nus I’ve been working on. On one of the kits, I replaced the backpack thrusters with metal thrusters from Ako Hobby. I’m using the same thrusters for the legs as well. I start by cutting the thruster bell off the stock piece using a hasegawa tritool saw. These saws are very thin and the amount of material removed by the sawing process is minimal so they work great for such applications.

hguc_nu_prog%20017_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20018_jpg.jpg

After removing the thruster bell, the area is then sanded slightly with a low grit sanding stick. This helps level the surface and give added surface area for the glue. The metal thruster is then glued into place. I used an epoxy glue for added strength.

hguc_nu_prog%20019_jpg.jpg

Here are a few comparison shots, the first is the replaced leg thruster and the second is the backpack thrusters.

hguc_nu_prog%20020_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20025_jpg.jpg

I think the bigger and longer thruster give a more robust look to the kit.