1/6 Dark Elf Commission Progress

December 1, 2006: Back on track after being "busy" for the past couple of weeks. Working on a couple of Dark Elf commissions. The fittings are decent, but there are some issues with some pin holes and small areas that need to be repaired. Quite a difference from working on the original. But hopefully once I'm done, you won't be able to tell the difference between the recasts and the original.

December 28, 2006: Update on commission progression. Sanding down and discovering tiny pinholes that I opened up with the hobby knife, then filled with epoxy putty. One figure is getting pretty close to sanding completion, and I pinned another dark elf.

January 22, 2007: Finished fixing all the issues and sanded everything down. Soaked all the parts for a few days to clean them, ran the parts through my ultrasonic cleaner and the sprayed on the first layer of primer. Once this cures by tomorrow, I can go back and check for any spots I missed and fix them.

January 24, 2007: Sprayed primer on both kits. Checked for defects and made the necessary fixes, wet sanded everything, and they are now ready for another priming session. Hopefully I got all the defects and then I just have to wet sand and then get into the painting session.

January 30, 2007: Wet sanded the final primer layer and sprayed on the base skin tone as well as the highlight tone. Going to let this cure for a night, then spray the flat coat tomorrow night.

Feburary 4, 2007: Applied the flat coat and then finished masking one of the elves. While masking the other, I got some paint lift so I had to re-sand, re-prime, and re-paint. I still need to re-flat coat it before I continue finishing the masking, but I need to allow the paint to cure before moving on. A little bit of a set back but this stuff happens. Best to keep patient with things and work through them. The rest of the second figure has been masked.

Feburary 6, 2007: The flat coat cured for the above part and I was able to finish masking that part. Once done, I sprayed on the custom purple mix of Silk Red and Wolf Blue by finisher's paints. I will need to let this cure for a few days before moving on to masking for the gold trim.

March 4, 2007:

July 22, 2007: Finally an update to this project. I ran into a few issues when removing the masking tape where some paint chipped. So I had to sand down the chipped areas and carefully repaint the parts. There are some detail painting that still needs to be taken care of which will be completed this week, and then it's off to shipping the two kits out to their respective owners. Again, I'm greatly appreciative of the customer's patience. What should be been completed in early Feburary, has taken far too long and for this I apologize. Hopefully the quality of the job will make up for the time.

July 26, 2007: And they're done.


Update Information:

March 4, 2007: Been a while since I updated; annual ski trip, and a contest had taken up the past two weekend; but inbetween all that I've been busy masking and hand painting the gold highlights. A very time consuming task. I didn't take too many progress pictures because I was fairly focused on just getting to this point. I still have more gold to paint, and then the hair, eyes and everything should be complete. Another week or so and they should be complete.

July 26, 2007: Done




Ad Crap: