Apr 122013
 

So just shy of 3 weeks, this little quick and dirty project is done. I pulled some pictures from the previous posts showing the major miles stones starting with the simple snap fit, painted, flat coated, then weathered. It feels good to get a project done after so much time away from building. I normally try to document as much of the progress as possible so that others can learn, but sometime when I’m in the zone for building, I invariably forget about snapping a picture at certain moments, so if things are missed, or lost in translation, it should be fairly easy to assume from on progress picture to another. I’ve started to get better at writing the exact colors and brands I’m using. I find that sometimes, months or years goes by and I get a question on what color/brand I used for some kit and I have no idea, and go back to look at the progress page for that particular kit to see if it was written there or if it jogs my memory.

efreet_custom_prog

But enough of the babbling, the progress and some final pictures after the jump.

Continue reading »

Aug 142010
 

Ok, final bits for the progress on the kit and now she’s done. As stated in my previous post, I sprayed the final gloss clear over the parts that morning so that when I got off work, I can get down to applying the panel lines. So I did just that when I got home. The panel lines are done with tamiya enamel black thinned with rosonol lighter fluid. The whole job looks rather messy, but the wash solution is left on the surface to dry for a couple of hours. Angel and I had our little mandate and hit up the local stop for the Kogi Truck that night, then headed off to see The Expendables It was decent as an action movie, cheesy lines, a few finny ones, and decent action; not much to write home about.

A few hours later, the wash solution has dried enough that it’s very simple to wipe away the excess ink using a q-tip and paper towels moistened with lighter fluid.

After wiping everything down, the parts are sprayed with the final flat clear coat and then let to dry and cure over night. Waking up this morning, I got down to the final gluing and assembly of all the parts.

Gator needs his GAT!

And on to the final assembly. Now a little trick I use to avoid the pesky problems of paint scratching while assembling, posing, and positioning the kit is to slide some note card paper into the areas that are prone to rubbing together. This way, I can continue to move and reposition the kit until I find the one I like, without having any paint scratching problems. Once I find the pose and position I like, the note card papers come out, and the surface of the parts are unscathed.

Completed pictures after the jump…

Continue reading »

Aug 132010
 

As stated in the previous post; when it gets down to the final stretch of things, the build progress slows down to a snails pace. The reason for this is that each of the final steps, although very quick and not in the least bit labor intensive just takes time and patience. Visibly, the work isn’t significant as these are minor details added to the kit. The reason for the slowness for the drawn out process is due to the cure times for the clear coats applied between the final layers.

Continue reading »

Aug 092010
 

This was a fairly busy weekend. The August build gathering was originally scheduled for the 21st, but since I’ll be in Vegas along with a few other guys from the build gathering, I moved it. Unfortunately, the date change affected a good number of folks that they couldn’t make it. I received email/messages from about 10 folks. We had about 15 folks at the gathering, so we would have had a fairly large gathering if those 10 showed. A nice low key gathering is always relaxing, especially since I can focus on the damn Gouf. In the middle of the gathering, I also had to run off to attend a wedding reception that I had forgotten was on my schedule; but more on that later. First up the Gouf.

Continue reading »

Aug 042010
 

Since the Gouf’s mono eye space is so small, I wanted to add some detailing that would utilize the space while keeping up the rather menacing look of the kit. The last time I wrote up a tutorial on LED installation was well over 7 years ago when I build the Gogg; it’s time I revisited this tutorial and updated it to better standards.

Continue reading »

Aug 022010
 

I nailed down my pose earlier in the week then got most of the current work done over the weekend. The weekend was fairly busy, but I did get a good amount of work done on the sucker. I spent most of Friday night filling and doing final bits of the initial sanding and clean up on the resin parts which ended with the resin parts being dunked into a purple power bath.

Continue reading »

Jul 262010
 

This past weekend was San Diego Comic Con. I had never gone to Comic Con and didn’t plan on attending, but one of vendors I know said they could give me a pass to check out the event. Having finished the Musha MkII for the vendor and being off on Friday, I decided to drive down there, deliver the kit and check out the show. I started up on a Gouf 2.0 Gouf Custom conversion kit on Saturday, and later that evening, a group of friends and I went out to the Orange County Fair.

Continue reading »