Jan 30, 2005: I picked up a 1/1700 EX Musai yesterday
and first put the thing together. Granted the size is incredibly small,
but there are some really nice details. The EX line that bandai pushes
out are smaller kits made for the more fanatical gunpla folks. Since this
is such a niche kit, this results in exorbitant prices, this kit cost
32.00. But being that I'm fit into the fanatical gunpla niche of modelers,
I picked this guy up.
Below are pictures of the kit just snapped together to
get a general size reference so that I can work on the base as I build
the kit. The following pictures are from primed and then the first coat.
I learned a new technique today while chatting with one
of the owners of Best1Hobby. Apparently acrylics can be thinned with Mr
Color Thinner (Lacquer thinner). This produces a few interesting effects.
The paint dries much much faster than when thinned with alcohol. The paint
seems to adhere better to the plastic as opposed to being airbrushed with
alcohol thinner. I will continue to test this new technique as time progresses,
like cure time and strength in comparison to a piece sprayed using alcohol
as a thinner. If this pans out, then I have now have a way to get the
results of lacquer paints with acrylic. The first coat of paint is tamyia
gloss white thinned with Mr Color Thinner.
The last picture is the base I will be creating. Using
the base stand that comes with the kit, I glued styrofoam pieces and this
will eventually make for an asteroid of some sort. Following this, I will
be adding plaster cloth and going to experiment with celluclay.
January 31, 2005: Update on the acrylic thinned with Mr Color. After
allowing about 24 hours to dry, the surface looks and feels as if it was
cured for a week. I tried the scratching test and it took some strength
to get the paint off. I'm happy with these results. Now if I am in a hurry
to paint, I can use Mr Color thinner to thin the acrylics and to speed
up my work time. The first picture was take last night after I had finished
painting a coat of tamyia clear green over the white. Again I thinned
the acrylic with mr color thinner. The following two shots are of the
base. I had placed plaster cloth over the bare styrofoam and plastic base
yesterday. Tonight, I added celluclay (my first time working with the
stuff) and it seemed to go on fairly nicely. I added some details to the
astroid using a both ends of a brush; then used a hair dryer to airdry
the majority of the clay to see what resulted. Hopefully the celluclay
will be completely dry tomorrow so that I can work on painting the base.
The next set of pictures are what's done so far with the kit. I painted
all the parts, and have layered on a couple of coat of future. I'll allow
this to dry for a day or two (hopefully I won't get ansy and only let
a day go by) then it's on to the wash and final coat of future + flat
base. If all goes well, this little kit should be done by the end of the
Another kit that I wasn't overly satisfied with so I never took completed pictures.