Jan 132015
 

This is an experiment that didn’t go too badly. I learned a great deal from this experience, granted the end result isn’t all that great, it’s not that bad. It is however, a 1 lb resin paper weight now. The next time I try something similar, it will definitely be in a much smaller size and the planning should be vastly improved. But I do like the final result. This is something I’ve not see too much, so I wanted to try it. I had finished this right before Orangecon 2014 and like everything else, just haven’t had the time to snap some final pictures.

Full gallery after the jump.

Continue reading »

Sep 252014
 

Over the past several weeks, I’ve been working on a RG Z’Gok as well as a GMII that would eventually be put together into a simple diorama. The exact plan wasn’t laid out as I didn’t want to spoil the surprise, and I honestly did not know if this “plan” would even be successful. But, I took pictures of the whole process and it sorta turned out how I figured it would. There are some issues that I learned, and should have learned when I first tried this with the Sazabi’s shield. But I am definitely much more confident in this process, so the next time, yes, there will invariably be a next time; this should be much more successful.

Starting off even before the RG Z’Gok was released and before I had snapped together the GMII, I used a stand in GM and a wood base that I had made for the G3 almost 10 years ago. The basic idea is to create a scene with the Z’Gok swimming over a long dead GMII, on it’s way to fight in that one epic battle from Gundam Unicorn. Where all these old Zeon suits spring out of the woodwork. That’s the basic premise. So, on goes the GM stand-in, laying down on the wood base. I then built an acrylic box measured out to the dimensions of the wood base using a hot glue gun to attach the 4 sides. The box is then test fitted over the base with the stand-in GM. Height is checked against my pressure pot to make sure it fits. And my plan is somewhat solid, time to execute.

Continue reading »

Sep 182014
 

The past couple of weeks have been pretty damn shitty. But I’m recovering and getting life back to the normal; so work on this project that has stalled resumes. Getting to the Z’Gok, I sprayed a few layers of colors to get the shaded effect I wanted. I started off with a dark tone, over this I painted white keeping a fairly heavy shade. Then over the white, the main Z’Gok color is painted. This last layer worked to blend the shading together.

20140826_203334 20140826_212958 20140826_235859

Continue reading »

Apr 252008
 

Small update from the past two days of work. I got the arm pod with battery pack built.

airman_prog%20034_jpg.jpg

More sanding work on the body.

airman_prog%20038_jpg.jpg

Aquament epoxy putty work on the body for finer details and filling.

airman_prog%20039_jpg.jpg

Another test with the LEDs one with a resistor and one without, I’ll be going with a resistor along the parallel setup.

airman_prog%20042_jpg.jpg

Next up is a little mockup of what I have so far. I used an MG Dom hand in lieu of scratch building my own, saves on time and I think the Dom’s fat fingers and hand fit the project decently. For the arm pod/battery pack, I used some hollowed out PVC pipe capped it with some styrene strips, then placed some barrels in a tri-barrel configuration. The more I look at the setup, I think I want to cut the barrels down more just to balance things out a bit. I also need to point the LEDs forward as opposed to pointing down. There are a few other modifications I’ll probably make as I look at the mock up more. But for now…

airman_prog%20043_jpg.jpg airman_prog%20045_jpg.jpg

Apr 212008
 

Weekend update.

First things first, I got a good amount of work done towards the end of last week, and a little work over the build gathering. Since I’m letting the clear gloss cure on the first Nu, I got to work sanding the second Nu. Additionally, since the second Nu was toyed around with and just lying around on my work bench while I was working on the first Nu, the parts needed to be soaked in the purple cleaner and then rinsed to remove all the oils, dust, and other environmental contaminants off it. The hobby knife and some coarse grit sand paper went to work on roughing up the kit, adding scratches, dents, dings, and blast marks.

Next, I did the wire wrapping on the tubes behind the knees. However, for more contrast against the first Nu, I went with a high gauge magnet wire.

And I’m almost done with the painting. Learning my lesson from the first Nu, I painted the indented parts first, masked, then painted the main colors.

hguc_nu_prog%20110_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20112_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20118_jpg.jpg

There is still a small amount of painting work left on the Nu before I can get it gloss coated and I should be able to get to the decaling for both kits later on this week….

Build Gathering…

Another successful build gathering, and even more growath. There were 4 new comers to the event, and hopefully they’ll return to future build gatherings as well. An inclusive 21 or so people were here. The building groups are set up as two full rooms. We actually ran out of chairs and had to play musical chairs for a little while.

mgb10%20010_jpg.jpg mgb10%20008_jpg.jpg mgb10%20009_jpg.jpg mgb10%20019_jpg.jpg mgb10%20018_jpg.jpg mgb10%20032_jpg.jpg

New project inspired by the video of another modeler using an MG Z’Gok to scratch build an Air Man from the game Rock Man (Mega Man).
My version

airman_prog%20001_jpg.jpg airman_prog%20004_jpg.jpg airman_prog%20005_jpg.jpg

The part that is not explained or shown in the video is the slow process of building up the polyester putty body. I used strips of styrene as a frame for the putty to grab on to, and once I finish this slow process, I can get to the ever fun sanding and shaping phase…

airman_prog%20013_jpg.jpg