Mar 052015
 

For any resin figure, after the fun pinning phase, the initial sanding phase, and the first primer; everything goes into a perpetual cycle to work the surface preparation. The first primer layer will reveal most if not all the mistakes in the surface. Pinholes are bubbles in the resin and when found, these are typically just the top of the bubble and just below the surface is the actual bubbles so just applying a filler over this pinhole will not resolve the issue. Rough sanding spots are hard to see in the bare resin and shows up clearly in the grey primer. Missed mold lines are also easily found after the surface has been primed.

sena _ pinholes

Here’s the half hour long video of this process.

Feb 242010
 

At the build gathering, I pinned three kits that I received. One of which is a Cosette bust kit sculpted by modeling circle Modeller T. The sculpt is inspired by Émile Bayard’s illustration for Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables which depicts a young Cosette sweeping. The kit was sold at the recent WonderFest Winter 2010. Being a rather big fan of Les Miserables, both the book and the musical, I picked up the book after watching the musical and enjoyed both very much; so when I saw this sculpt, I had to grab it. Inspiration to work on kits come at odd times, as for the past few months, the push to build anything was all but non existent.

The second thing I started working on is a commission repair job for a Mizuki Tachibana from Gravion figure. The hair has a chunk broken off one of the two hair pieces and there is a prominent paint chip on the other hair piece. This should be a quick fix, the only issue is color matching for the hair.

Continue reading »

Aug 032009
 

This weekend, I relaxed with a bit of Scuba Diving. The first attempt was made on Friday afternoon, but upon reaching the beach and pulling out the gear to get ready, I realized that I had left a very important piece of equipment at home, my stupid mask. So no diving on Friday. I was successful Saturday morning, even got some very cool pictures. I snapped a picture of a Leopard Shark about 15-20 feet away. I got a little bit of work on Velvet over the weekend as well, mostly surface fixes. Sunday, I did an evening dive at Shaw’s Cove. And for good measure, a picture of Duke passed out on his back…

Continue reading »

Jul 282009
 

At the last build gathering, I finally got some time to start working on this kit. I spent most of the time at the build gathering doing the initial sanding, clean up work, and minor repairs to surface issues that are visible. After the initial cleanup work, the parts are soaked in purple power over night, rinsed in water, run through the ultra sonic cleaner, dried, then skewered and ready for priming.

Continue reading »

Nov 282008
 

Thanksgiving day update. I did a decent amount of work last night, and today. I had the family over for Thanksgiving, made dinner and entertained, and was still able to get a good amount of work on the kit done. I’m getting much closer to finishing. Below are the finished foot, spear piece, and shoulder with the metallic green kandy finish.

tekkaman_blade_com 058_jpg.jpg tekkaman_blade_com 059_jpg.jpg tekkaman_blade_com 063_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Nov 262008
 

The painting resumed last night. I picked up some Mr Color wine red and another red from the local hobby store on my way home. The red parts were repainted. The first picture below is a comparison between the wine red and russet that I use the previous night. The wine red is a much darker red and will work to help create shading effects. Next I used Finisher’s bright red and painted the parts using a preshading technique that bases off the darker red base color.

tekkaman_blade_com 018_jpg.jpg tekkaman_blade_com 019_jpg.jpg tekkaman_blade_com 020_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Nov 102008
 

A good amount of work was accomplished over the weekend. I got the arms and legs done; and I finished painting and weathering the base.

asagi_prog 231_jpg.jpg asagi_prog 223_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »