Dec 222014
 

Work continued on Yukari with a sewing machine.

Returning shorly to the previous post, the leg parts were cut to remove the shoes as well as the upper thigh. Instead of painting on the leggings, I decided to sew some nylon mesh material together and effectively have real stockings on the kit. The mesh materials is measured against the painted legs and cut into strips. The mesh is then held together by some pins and sewn together using an elastic stitch. The excess material next to the open end of the stitch is cut away. This end of the stitch needs to be hidden, so the mesh tube is flipped inside out so the excess is on the inside. Once flipped, the mesh tube is slipped over the legs. Cutting away the upper thigh and the shoes makes it easier to put the stockings together, since the upper and lower areas do not need to be carefully cut and glued.

yukari_feet_mod yukari_leggings

Once the legging are in place, the shoes and upper thigh pieces are glued together and the lower torso and legs are done.

Continue reading »

Dec 102014
 

The year is almost over and I’ve yet to get one figure kit completed. So I rummaged through the collection of resin kits and found this partially pinned kit. The parts breakdown is pretty simple and should be a pretty quick build. So I started up the project a few weeks ago.

This is Yukari Yakumo from the doujin game Touhou Project. I have no idea what the game is about or who this character is, but a few years ago, the kit looked pretty good from one of the WF events in Japan and I picked this kit up off Y!J Auctions.

The first step is to finish pinning together the kit, so I can get a better idea on modifications areas, but for the most part, I am just building this out of the bag.

yukari_pin

Continue reading »

Sep 262013
 

Several weeks ago, it occurred to me that I had yet to build a resin figure this year. I’ve been building fewer projects over the course of a year, but so far I’ve completed the resin conversion Efreet Custom and my little Nu project. Yes, the Efreet is mostly resin, but it is definitely not a figure kit; so picking through my pile, I narrowed down a few during the August build gathering. The Dutch and Revy kit pulled to me, and looking at the quick fit of things, I decided on the Revy which looks like it’s about a 1/4 scale bust kit.

So we begin, with Step 1: Basic building and pinning. I actually quite enjoy this step, the rough excess resin tabs are cut and the kit comes together in unpainted resin pureness. One of the build guys, Manuel, lent me his jeweler’s saw, which cuts through the resin like butter, and reduces the chance of resin chipping from using clippers. However, there is a real possibility of slipping and cutting into the resin parts other than just the excess resin, so care needs to be taken – especially since these saws can take off skin and bone just as easily.

Excess resin is removed here and there while the parts are test fitted, making sure parts are snug and aligned. Once this is done, some of the parts are carefully pinned trying to keep true to the alignment. Here I can see what pieces need reshaping or realignment.

Continue reading »

Nov 072012
 

Morrigan has been completed for about three weeks now; in the middle of the family fun, I had quickly finished her up for OrangeCon. Not the greatest work, but I wanted to get at least one figure kit completed this year. But rewinding a bit to the week leading up to OrangeCon 2012, I still had small bits and pieces to paint. The main body was masked off for the final layers of paint.

Continue reading »

Oct 082012
 

A little under a month ago, I started working on a Morrigan figure sculpted by JYOJYO (also known as OOXOO). Of all the Morrigan figures I’ve seen, this is definitely my favorite and what I believe the best looking and best proportioned. The Morrigan pretty much started as I was finishing the Midnight Zaku. Additionally, about a week ago, I started work on my part for the SCGMC raffle prize. More information about both kits following the jump.

Continue reading »

Aug 092011
 

Last night, I got the decals and final touch ups done. I also glued the head pieces to the hair and glued the arms and back plate to the main body. After the decal setter completely dried, a quick shot of clear gloss was sprayed over the main body and it was left to sit for about a day. Today painted in her lips and glued the head to the body. I also placed the final magnets into the leg areas so that the kit sits attached to the base solidly. The kit came with a little doll that she holds but I just found the thing a little too creepy. Additionally, I didn’t make any sort of attachment point for the doll to her left arm, so I’m just leaving it out. The doll is mostly painted, I just didn’t get around to painting the eyes. Regardless, since I’m leaving that piece out, I didn’t feel the need to finish that part up. Check out the completed pictures in the gallery after the jump.

View 10 photos »

Aug 082011
 

A little bit of a weekend update. This like pretty much every other weekend was fairly busy; time this it was the birthday bashes for Nicky and Yuki. Nicky’s birthday was earlier in the week and Yuki’s was this past weekend. So they decided to combine both birthdays and have a little gathering down in La Jolla Shores. Interspersed within all the birthday activities I have a little bit of time to mask and paint the Asuka bust kit.

Continue reading »