Apr 252008
 

Small update from the past two days of work. I got the arm pod with battery pack built.

airman_prog%20034_jpg.jpg

More sanding work on the body.

airman_prog%20038_jpg.jpg

Aquament epoxy putty work on the body for finer details and filling.

airman_prog%20039_jpg.jpg

Another test with the LEDs one with a resistor and one without, I’ll be going with a resistor along the parallel setup.

airman_prog%20042_jpg.jpg

Next up is a little mockup of what I have so far. I used an MG Dom hand in lieu of scratch building my own, saves on time and I think the Dom’s fat fingers and hand fit the project decently. For the arm pod/battery pack, I used some hollowed out PVC pipe capped it with some styrene strips, then placed some barrels in a tri-barrel configuration. The more I look at the setup, I think I want to cut the barrels down more just to balance things out a bit. I also need to point the LEDs forward as opposed to pointing down. There are a few other modifications I’ll probably make as I look at the mock up more. But for now…

airman_prog%20043_jpg.jpg airman_prog%20045_jpg.jpg

Apr 232008
 

Got the electronic components together

airman_prog%20022_jpg.jpg

Adding little connectors to each component, stringing them together with the DPDT switch, I can run the yellow LEDS (Still not completely decided on the color I want the eyes – red, yellow, or blue) from the lithinum 3 volt battery and the ducted fan can run off the 1.5 volts coming off the AAA battery cell.

airman_prog%20021_jpg.jpg

And I even have a little video for it:


Get the Flash Player to see this player.



Next up, I drilled out the fan hole using a hole saw that was 44mm in diameter.

airman_prog%20026_jpg.jpg

Slightly off center, but I’m already working on fixing it 😀

airman_prog%20027_jpg.jpg airman_prog%20031_jpg.jpg

And finally, more putty because after drilling the hole, the size of the waist area and area surrounding the hole was too thin, some thin sheet styrene was rolled up and inserted as a cowl for the fan, and doubles as a support for the additional putty slopped onto the kit. This should be the last putty build up session and next I can work on the final sculpting and surface prep.

airman_prog%20032_jpg.jpg

Apr 212008
 

Weekend update.

First things first, I got a good amount of work done towards the end of last week, and a little work over the build gathering. Since I’m letting the clear gloss cure on the first Nu, I got to work sanding the second Nu. Additionally, since the second Nu was toyed around with and just lying around on my work bench while I was working on the first Nu, the parts needed to be soaked in the purple cleaner and then rinsed to remove all the oils, dust, and other environmental contaminants off it. The hobby knife and some coarse grit sand paper went to work on roughing up the kit, adding scratches, dents, dings, and blast marks.

Next, I did the wire wrapping on the tubes behind the knees. However, for more contrast against the first Nu, I went with a high gauge magnet wire.

And I’m almost done with the painting. Learning my lesson from the first Nu, I painted the indented parts first, masked, then painted the main colors.

hguc_nu_prog%20110_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20112_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20118_jpg.jpg

There is still a small amount of painting work left on the Nu before I can get it gloss coated and I should be able to get to the decaling for both kits later on this week….

Build Gathering…

Another successful build gathering, and even more growath. There were 4 new comers to the event, and hopefully they’ll return to future build gatherings as well. An inclusive 21 or so people were here. The building groups are set up as two full rooms. We actually ran out of chairs and had to play musical chairs for a little while.

mgb10%20010_jpg.jpg mgb10%20008_jpg.jpg mgb10%20009_jpg.jpg mgb10%20019_jpg.jpg mgb10%20018_jpg.jpg mgb10%20032_jpg.jpg

New project inspired by the video of another modeler using an MG Z’Gok to scratch build an Air Man from the game Rock Man (Mega Man).
My version

airman_prog%20001_jpg.jpg airman_prog%20004_jpg.jpg airman_prog%20005_jpg.jpg

The part that is not explained or shown in the video is the slow process of building up the polyester putty body. I used strips of styrene as a frame for the putty to grab on to, and once I finish this slow process, I can get to the ever fun sanding and shaping phase…

airman_prog%20013_jpg.jpg