Mar 052015
 

For any resin figure, after the fun pinning phase, the initial sanding phase, and the first primer; everything goes into a perpetual cycle to work the surface preparation. The first primer layer will reveal most if not all the mistakes in the surface. Pinholes are bubbles in the resin and when found, these are typically just the top of the bubble and just below the surface is the actual bubbles so just applying a filler over this pinhole will not resolve the issue. Rough sanding spots are hard to see in the bare resin and shows up clearly in the grey primer. Missed mold lines are also easily found after the surface has been primed.

sena _ pinholes

Here’s the half hour long video of this process.

Dec 222014
 

Work continued on Yukari with a sewing machine.

Returning shorly to the previous post, the leg parts were cut to remove the shoes as well as the upper thigh. Instead of painting on the leggings, I decided to sew some nylon mesh material together and effectively have real stockings on the kit. The mesh materials is measured against the painted legs and cut into strips. The mesh is then held together by some pins and sewn together using an elastic stitch. The excess material next to the open end of the stitch is cut away. This end of the stitch needs to be hidden, so the mesh tube is flipped inside out so the excess is on the inside. Once flipped, the mesh tube is slipped over the legs. Cutting away the upper thigh and the shoes makes it easier to put the stockings together, since the upper and lower areas do not need to be carefully cut and glued.

yukari_feet_mod yukari_leggings

Once the legging are in place, the shoes and upper thigh pieces are glued together and the lower torso and legs are done.

Continue reading »

Feb 262010
 

Work continues for Cosette. The first layer of primer was sprayed after the initial sanding session and putty works. If I continue at this pace, I may actually be able to finish this kit by the time Pasadena Modelers Society ValleyCon rolls around next week. The priming session has showed some rough spots. I’m now on the fence about how to approach the hair. As the figure is supposed to be a little grimy and down trodden, I’m not sure if I should clean up the hair. The initial spraying of primer has shown a decent amount of rough spots on the hair. I may apply some small spots of putty and smooth out some of the rough spots, but it may take away from the gritty look of the figure. I’ll take another look and make a decision, but for now, I focused on areas that need to be fixed.

Continue reading »

Oct 142009
 

This is how I deal with air bubbles found in resin kits. Sometimes these bubbles are just under the surface and while sanding to clean up mold lines or various surface defects, they are uncovered. Other times they are quite obvious and are easily spotted. And more often than not, they are not easily seen and are very small, and up until you spray that first layer of primer, do they suddenly show up all over the place. So this little tutorial will demonstrate a few methods I use to deal with this pesky little issue.

Continue reading »

Jul 282009
 

At the last build gathering, I finally got some time to start working on this kit. I spent most of the time at the build gathering doing the initial sanding, clean up work, and minor repairs to surface issues that are visible. After the initial cleanup work, the parts are soaked in purple power over night, rinsed in water, run through the ultra sonic cleaner, dried, then skewered and ready for priming.

Continue reading »

Aug 252008
 

Weekend update. This weekend saw a good amount of work done on Kanu. Friday was spent sanding, Saturday I re-primed the sanded pieces, then Sunday saw some actual paint work. The red parts got the base coat of Finisher’s Silk Red. The upper piece of the dress still had a good amount of surface defects that I filled using light curing putty on Friday. The part was primed on Saturday, and the base coat was sprayed on Sunday.

kanu1_6_prog 095_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 099_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 121_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Aug 212008
 

This is a small tutorial update. I’m finally catching up with putting some of the videos that I finished right before Anime Expo up on the site, and updated three of the tutorial pages with the videos and technique descriptions.

Light Curing Putty
Wet Sanding
Resin Scrubbing with the Ultrasonic Cleaner

As I get going on painting Kanu, I will be making more videos and hopefully making regular updates to the tutorial pages.