May 072018
 

Our theme for this year’s SCGMC is the Bearguy, so I’m finally getting off my ass and starting up my Bearguy project. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew at this time. Sometimes when inspiration hits you, it’s like being hit by a motorcycle speeding from your blind spot. You’re not expecting it at all, and *WHAM* the ideas just start flowing. I had been working on the Grim Reaper figure kit and I just had to pull a complete stop. The force is strong with this one and cannot be ignored. Little Miss Reaper joins the rest of the projects in various modes of development hell.

Way back when the first Bearguy came out, I had an idea of fitting the kit (1/144) inside an MG Acguy (1/100). The idea stems from the Panda-Z anime/toy that I picked up almost 20 years ago. The idea floated around for a while then just faded away into the back of my subconscious with the rest of the half-witted ideas I get. Then comes the Petit-Bearguys and the idea slightly resurfaced, but was quickly overruled by other projects in progress or of higher priority. Fast Forward to the end of last year when we announced our 2018 SCGMC Theme and add a few months before the true inspiration that really kickstarts the project.

Aside from the Panda-Z, I’m also inspired by the giant Omni-droid from Incredibles. First step is to acquire the kits my imagination pulled together, so we have the 1/144 Kshatriya, the Bearguy San, an MG Ball, and a Petit-Bearguy. The arm of the MG Guntank was an afterthought so not really one of the full kits being used; I’ve already been cannibalizing that kit for several other projects; so what can one more do to hurt? The main pieces from the kits are quickly snapped together so I have a very rough idea of what I’m planning on bashing together.

What I end up with is the Petit-Bearguy (PBG) as the driver of an upper torso of the Bear-Guy (BG) with a lower torso of the MG Ball, and the Kshatriya (K) binders as legs in a tripod configuration.

This project started near the end of March, and I’m only just now getting around to making a post because I actually have a fairly decent progress flow. So after the jump, this wall of text and pictures taken over the past month continues. A snide note, I used a bad option on my camera that pretty much ruined a good number of pictures. So the different resolution size are pictures from my camera phone and what pictures I was able to salvage.

Continue reading »

May 052008
 

This weekend, I returned to working on the HGUC Nus. I got them gloss clear coated and ready for decals:

hguc_nu_prog%20132_jpg.jpg

Decaled:

hguc_nu_prog%20145_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20144_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20151_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20146_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20147_jpg.jpg

Here are some comparison pictures of the two Nus so far. In some of the pictures, you can see the weathering done to the decals.

hguc_nu_prog%20154_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20163_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20165_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20167_jpg.jpg

Next up will be the panel line wash and another clear coat to finish up the “Shiny” Nu. There are a couple of more steps I need before I finish up the second Nu.

Apr 072008
 

Time for a small weekend update. Actually, this is work done from near the end of last week and sunday night. I had a fairly busy weekend so I didn’t get as much as I wanted done, but progress is moving along.

I did a quick assembly of most of the parts for a primed vs snapped comparison picture:

hguc_nu_prog%20029_jpg.jpg

Next up, I found the back of the knee cables a little bland, so using some magnet wire, I wrapped around them creating some springs. Hopefully this will look good when I finish painting this part.

hguc_nu_prog%20052_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20055_jpg.jpg

Initial base color for the white parts were painted on, I used Intermediate Blue from Mr Color.

hguc_nu_prog%20060_jpg.jpg

Finisher’s Pure White was then sprayed on using the intermediate blue as a preshade color:

hguc_nu_prog%20064_jpg.jpg

Closer comparison pictures

hguc_nu_prog%20062_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20073_jpg.jpg

Apr 032008
 

Another size comparison picture, using an hguc RGM-79D cold climate GM, this really shows off the shear massiveness that is the Nu.

hguc_nu_prog%20016_jpg.jpg

Small little update to the hguc nus I’ve been working on. On one of the kits, I replaced the backpack thrusters with metal thrusters from Ako Hobby. I’m using the same thrusters for the legs as well. I start by cutting the thruster bell off the stock piece using a hasegawa tritool saw. These saws are very thin and the amount of material removed by the sawing process is minimal so they work great for such applications.

hguc_nu_prog%20017_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20018_jpg.jpg

After removing the thruster bell, the area is then sanded slightly with a low grit sanding stick. This helps level the surface and give added surface area for the glue. The metal thruster is then glued into place. I used an epoxy glue for added strength.

hguc_nu_prog%20019_jpg.jpg

Here are a few comparison shots, the first is the replaced leg thruster and the second is the backpack thrusters.

hguc_nu_prog%20020_jpg.jpg hguc_nu_prog%20025_jpg.jpg

I think the bigger and longer thruster give a more robust look to the kit.