Oct 312008
 

HOORAY! I’m finally done with her! I went out and bought some new back backgrounds for the new photography style I’ve been using. Here are a few quick close up shots. More information and pictures after the jump.

kanu1_6 053_jpg.jpg kanu1_6 096_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Oct 302008
 

Lets try this again. I hit the gym, and late last night i got around to sanding the cursed part. The miliput actually worked out quite well and I didn’t have to do much sanding. I will have to remember to use the stuff on my next project since one of the two parts of the miliput has a nice layer of oxidation around it that needs to be cut away before mixing. When storing miliput, use some ziplog bags to reduce the oxidation and preserve the life of this rather expensive putty.

kanu1_6_prog 302_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 303_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Oct 292008
 

Last night, I put on the decals for Kanu’s robe. I use some Mr Mark softer to help melt the decal to conform to the curves of the robe and left it to sit over night. Tonight, I decided to take some final pictures of the completed robe. After which, I figured I could finally put the entire kit together and take some completion pictures. After several months of work, motivation loss, frustration working to get the robe just right and paint it…. I was finished…. or so I thought….

kanu1_6_prog 293_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 294_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 295_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 297_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Oct 262008
 

Busy weekend. Friday night, I assembled the sub parts for the Tekkaman Evil commission kit and took pictures of the completed kit. I experimented with my photography, using a diffuser for my flash; so some of the pictures may look a little different form my past photos. Before the build gathering, I went down to my local AutoZone where I had ordered a K&N Cold Air/Short Ram intake kit, and then installed it to my tC. Folks started showing up to the build gathering as I finished up the install. The build gathering was fairly successful, we ended up going out to El Farolito for dinner. We had about 16 people at the gathering. My free time during the gathering went to working on the Kanu kit and with the masking work completed, I should be able to finish the kit this week. Sean F brought a couple of cds with pictures from OrangeCon 2008, and I have those pictures uploaded to the website. Here are a few sample pictures from the weekend, more pictures and details about the weekend after the jump.

tekkaman_evil_com 071_jpg.jpg k_n_intake_install 003_jpg.jpg mgb17 067_jpg.jpg mgb17 071_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Sep 052008
 

Today’s update is all about masking Kanu so that I can paint some detail areas. I use four different masking techniques. For the areas that boarder between the masked and unmasked areas, I use tamiya masking tape. Tamiya masking tape is very thin and is easily cut with a very sharp(brand new) hobby knife blade. Below is the part ready for masking, I will be masking off the skin areas to paint the body wrap and the hair.

kanu1_6_prog 223_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Sep 022008
 

Weekend update. A good amount of work was accomplished on Kanu over the weekend, some rework to resculpt a broken/missing piece, and a build gathering capped out the events of the long Labor Day weekend. Because of the amount of hard alcohol consumed, I spent the day recovering. I’m still not 100%, but at least I’m no longer orally evacuating last night’s liquid consumption.

kanu1_6_prog 219_jpg.jpg mgb15 013_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »

Aug 292008
 

With the clear gloss cured for a full day, I can now apply the decal. The first picture shows the planning stage. Once I have a good idea on where I want the tattoo (decal) placed, I can now dip the decal in some water for a few seconds then take the decal out of the water and let it sit on a napkin for a minute or so. This loosens up the decal from the paper backing and doesn’t completely dissolve the glue that’s on the decal film. When I went to slide the decal onto the skin, the decal fell apart, several decals fell apart… so I took my gloss clear and sprayed the decal sheet and let that set up for a couple of minutes. Once that completely dried, I tried the attempt again, and the clear gloss added some strength to the rather thin decal film. The bad part about this is that the clear gloss added a little thickness to the decal film.

kanu1_6_prog 180_jpg.jpg kanu1_6_prog 186_jpg.jpg

Continue reading »